Have you ever seen that cassettes? Yes the one which has black thread like tape. If we compare that with our latest technologies then it will be like an old teddy bear in front of our MP3 players and computers. But it was really an awesome media type which ruled the world since 80’s. If you got such cassettes then it’s the time you should take it out. Yes, here I am going to show you how to copy your cassettes to the computer with some basic instruments and yes of course for free! By using this instructions you can transfer all your golden memories to your computer and can save it as an MP3 file. You can play this file with any MP3 player and you can enjoy your nostalgic moments. Let’s see how we can do this easily. Have a look to Digitize Cassettes.
You should have some basic things to record your cassettes to your PC. If you have these things then go ahead and take backup of your golden memories. Cassettes are not digital media it is analog media which can only played by tape recorders. Also, a single cassette cannot hold more data. So I guess you have plenty of cassettes waiting for you in your store room. Dig it out all your cassettes or your favorite one and digitize it easily. Check the things which you will need to record your cassettes.
Things You Will need
- You should have a cassette player. It should be Walkman in which you can attach your headphones. If you have such tape recorders then it’s good. Otherwise ask your friends for such recorders.
- Another thing you need is stereo cord. Which will connect your recorder and other end will be line in on your PC. You can get this on any radio store.
- And the last but not the least, Audacity. It is a software which is used to edit and record sounds. You can download and install Audacity from here.
Procedure to Record Songs from Cassettes to Computer
- First of all we need to configure Audacity. Follow this procedure step by step to do recording successfully.
- Open Audacity and head towards File and then Preferences.
- Click on “Libraries” tab and then click on “Download”. It will open a new web page. For saving file as MP3 we need this encoder. So download this encoder and install it. After installing click on “Locate”, you will find “Lame_enc.dll”. After that hit OK.
- Now keep your input channel to 2. And input device as “line in”. Check screen shot for reference.
- Now you are done with Audacity. Now connect your cassette player and computer with stereo cord. Make sure you insert the cord in Line in slot only.
- Now start playing your song. You may hear the sound will come through your computer speakers. This means it is working fine.
- After doing this press record button (red button) in Audacity and record your song. I recommend you to record whole side. After recording you can select and cut the recordings in songs.
- After recording, click on “File” and then “Export”. Fill out the Meta data details and save it on your computer.